On Tuesday 15thNovember 2011 Liberty Square (Zuccotti Park), home of Occupy Wall Street for the past two months and birthplace of the 99% movement that has spread across the country and around the world, were evicted by a large police force in full riot gear. The brutal eviction started at 1.20am in the morning and included:
- Teargassing and pepper spraying
- NYPD destroying personal items. Occupiers were prevented from leaving with their possessions.
- Deployed a sound cannon against occupiers
- NYPD cutting down trees in Liberty Square
- NYC council-member Ydanis Rodríguez arrested and bleeding from head.
- Destroyed the Library. 5,000 donated books in dumpster.
- Brooklyn Bridge closed off , All subways shut down
- Press helicopters evicted from airspace. NY Times reporter arrested.
- Press barred from entering Liberty Square
At 6am in the morning Liberty Square had been cleared. The occupiers re-grouped at Foley Square and made the following proclamation “We will re-occupy”. You cannot evict an idea whose time has come. We are here because we too believe a better world is possible. We will push back against anyone who wantonly tramples on proud freedoms: freedom of the press, freedom of speech, and the freedom of people to peaceably assemble and petition for change. We are the 99%, and we want to live in a world that is for all of us — not just for those who have amassed great wealth and power. NOW is the time to help. If you feel as deeply about the Occupy movement as we do, show your support by taking real steps today! Join Occupy Wellington. We are occupying Civic Square as part of the Occupy Together movement. We are an all-inclusive, family friendly, alcohol and drug free space. For more information come down and see us or check out: Occupy Wellington NZ on Facebook or contact 0226022753